Latest News

Hamilton shuts down retirement talk as Ocon fires back at Haas rumors

Hamilton shuts down retirement talk as Ocon fires back at Haas rumors

Summary
Esteban Ocon angrily denies speculation his Haas seat is at risk for 2027, while Lewis Hamilton insists he has no plans to retire and remains fully committed to Ferrari’s long-term project. Both drivers addressed the rumors during the Canadian Grand Prix media day.

Two of Formula 1's most talked-about drivers used Thursday's media day in Montreal to forcefully push back against swirling speculation. Esteban Ocon branded recent reports about his Haas future as "complete bull***t," while Lewis Hamilton made it clear that retirement is not on his radar and that he remains fully invested in Ferrari's project.

Why it matters:

At a time when the paddock is buzzing with driver market rumors, these direct statements provide much-needed clarity. Ocon's emphatic denial helps stabilize Haas after a season of steady progress, while Hamilton's reaffirmation of his commitment to Ferrari signals that the seven-time champion is not planning an exit anytime soon—shutting down a narrative that has followed him since his move to Maranello.

The details:

  • Ocon's frustration: The French driver was visibly irked by reports suggesting his Haas seat could be under threat as early as 2027, with some even hinting at a mid-season departure. He told GPblog and other outlets that the stories were entirely fabricated, pointing out that one article even misspelled team principal Ayao Komatsu's name. "We were just talking with Ayao just now... it's complete nonsense," Ocon said.
  • Hamilton's stance: The Ferrari driver responded directly to recurring retirement rumors during the official press conference. Hamilton stressed that his contract situation is "100% clear" and that he is already planning for the next five years. "There are a lot of people who are trying to retire me, and that's not even on my thoughts," he added, dismissing external speculation that he might step away soon.
  • Broader context: These denials come ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix, a track where both drivers have previously excelled. Ocon is looking to build on Haas's improved form in 2026, while Hamilton is still chasing his first victory with Ferrari after a mixed start to the season.

What's next:

With rumors temporarily silenced, both drivers can now focus on the race weekend in Montreal. Ocon will aim to deliver a strong result to back up his words, while Hamilton continues his adaptation to Ferrari's car. The coming months will reveal whether these firm statements are enough to quiet the speculation—or if the rumor mill simply moves on to the next target.

Original Article :https://www.gpblog.com/en/podcast/hamilton-and-ocon-fire-back-at-f1-doubters

logoGP Blog